Another doctored up mix. 🙂 This is the basic recipe I use for my pistachio cupcakes. When I have other things on hand or am feeling fancy, I add in some special things for variety.
1 box white cake mix
1 box pistachio pudding
whole milk (a couple splashes or so)
1 container (6 – 8 oz) vanilla greek yogurt
**Optional Ingredients for Variations**
cherries (fresh or frozen)
chocolate chips or chunks (dark, milk, or white – although I prefer dark)
I’ve made pistachio-chocolate, pistachio-cherry, and pistachio-chocolate-cherry…all very good. When I use the chocolate, or chocolate & cherries, I chop them up in the food processor. When I’m just using cherries, I will sometimes just drop the pitted cherry into the center of the cupcake OR randomly throughout the cake (if making a big cake as opposed to cupcakes).
Here we go…
1. preheat oven to 350
2. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl (cake mix & pistachio pudding mix)
3. add eggs & yogurt to the dry (if using any of the optional extras – then process the eggs, yogurt, and any extras in the food processor first, then add to the dry)
4. Mix, mix, mix!
5. Add milk, in splashes (mixing between), if the batter seems too thick. You only need enough milk to thin the batter out to a good consistency
6. line cupcake pans with papers OR grease & flour cupcake (or cake) pans
7. fill pans with batter (if using cherries & you haven’t already mixed them in – then this is when you’d drop them into the batter)
8. bake until done (cupcakes will have a slight golden hue & when you lightly tap the middle, the cake will spring back up)
9. take out of the oven & cool
Options for frosting – we often eat these plain but they are also good with any variety of icing (we prefer cream cheese)